The N-Solv process offers commercial, environmental as well as public and community benefits.
N-Solv offers higher capital efficiency, lower operating costs, and produces a higher quality oil product than competing in-situ processes.
- The N-Solv solvent process eliminates the need for an expensive steam/water treatment plant
- The N-Solv process eliminates steam and associated water treatment chemicals, a cost which makes up a significant fraction of the operating cost of a SAGD project.
- N-Solv uses 85% less energy input than steam-based extraction processes
- Higher value oil: in situ upgrading improves both the produced oil quality and API gravity
- Asphaltenes, heavy metals remain in situ, hence 20% less of each extracted barrel becomes waste
More Target Reservoirs
- Low temperatures and pressures allow thin, shallow, and low pressure zones to be economically attractive targets
Lower GHG intensity
- 93kg CO2e per barrel reduction compared to SAGD
No water consumption or contamination
- Consumption: Eliminates strain on a scarce resource
- Contamination: No downstream contamination concerns
- Improves relationship between communities, wildlife, and energy production
No coke waste sent to landfills
Public and Community Benefits
Zero water consumption
- N-Solv technology enables oil production that does not compete with community water resources or raise concerns of downstream contamination.
Greater royalty income
- Increasing the pie for all: Through its economic and energy efficiency, N-Solv yields greater royalty revenue for the Alberta and its citizens in parallel to offering project proponents greater economic returns than with other technologies.
- N-Solv increases Albertas reserves by providing a technology for accessing shallow, thin, carbonate, and low pressure reservoirs that are currently stranded due to a lack of effective technology.